The Michigan College English Association is an organization dedicated to the following mission:
- Providing opportunities for the discussion of the preparation and professional improvement of college teachers of English through annual meetings, publications, and conferences with representatives of other professional organizations;
- Encouraging the humane as well as the immediate practical study of language and literature;
- Maintaining and developing the functions of English studies as a major element in American higher education;
- Promoting fruitful interrelationships among English and other disciplines; and
- Interpreting the relationships of the study and teaching of English to society at large
MCEA is a state affiliate of the College English Association and sponsors an annual conference dedicated to promoting the above goals.